Image courtesy of Golden Age of Gaia
The Dignity in Dying group (see <here>) have been trying to use social media to trying and gain further support. This is the message that has been promoted on Facebook:
However, in direct contrast, an interview extract has appeared from a former Euthanasia supporting professor from Holland. In his summary he says:
- Beginning in 2008, the numbers of these deaths show an increase of 15% annually, year after year.
- The annual report of the committees for 2012 recorded 4,188 cases (compared with 1,882 in 2002).
- 2013 saw a continuation of this trend and I expect the 6,000 line to be crossed this year or the next.
- Euthanasia is on the way to become a ‘default’ mode of dying for cancer patients.
- The Dutch Right to Die Society NVVE have declared they will not rest until a lethal pill is made available to anyone over 70 years who wishes to die.
- In the first years after 2002 hardly any patients with psychiatric illnesses or dementia appear in reports, these numbers are now sharply on the rise. Cases have been reported in which a large part of the suffering of those given euthanasia or assisted suicide consisted in being aged, lonely or bereaved.
He concludes by saying:
Do you think the support of people such as Lord Cary and Desmond Tutu will be significant? Do you think the UK Government has considered the full implications of the laws? Do you think a law change would be a slippery slope? Do you think the law should change?
Plenty more on euthanasia on the blog <here>